Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What Must I Do to Be Saved?

-
One of the most famous and often quoted scriptures found in the Bible is John 3:16.  It reads, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”  Notice that the verse begins with God’s love.  Some call the Bible God’s love letter written to those He longs for.  And this is true.  God loves you.  He wants to fellowship with you.  In fact, real happiness and joy is impossible without a relationship with Him. But there’s a problem.  There’s something between  the two of you, and that thing is called “sin.”   You see, years ago, when humankind was first created, those whom God loved turned against Him and, since they rejected the Author of life, they died…first spiritually, and then physically.  Ever since that time this treasonous nature has been passed down from generation to generation.  Indeed, the Bible says, “There is none righteous, not even one…There is none who seeks for God…There is none who does good, there is not even one…All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” And, the Bible tells us the grim destiny of our condition… “the wages of sin is death.”

Now, at this point you may be saying, “Hey! I’m not that bad.  I’ve never done anything really wrong.  I try to get along with people.  In fact, I’d say I’m better than a lot of them and, for the most part, I try to live by The Golden Rule.”  But, you need to understand something.  When we’re talking about the God of the Bible we’re talking about a Being who is Holy, Pure, Clean, Spotless.  In fact, we don’t have a word to describe just how perfect He is in all ways.  And, although, at one time humankind had a relationship with Him, we chose instead to go our own way, to become one with everything that is the opposite of who God is.

Are you still having trouble understanding our condition?  Let me put it another way.  No doubt you’ve heard of the Ten Commandments.  You may not know all of them by heart, but you probably know at least a few.  Do you know why these commandments were given?  The answer is not so we can be good enough to please God.  No, the answer is that by trying to live up to these “rules” we would discover just how sinful we really are.  Let me give you some examples:  Have you ever stolen anything?  A paperclip, an answer on a test, time from your employer?  Have you ever lied about anything? (even the smallest “white” lie)  Have you ever lusted after someone? (the Seventh Commandment says, “You shall not commit adultery”, but Jesus said to even lust after someone is the same thing.)  Have you ever hated someone? (Jesus said to hate someone is the same as murdering them)  Have you always honored your parents?  Have you ever desired anything that belonged to someone else?  Have you ever used God’s name in a irreverent fashion? Have you always put God first?  You see, none of us can live up to this standard.  But whether we steal a paperclip or a billion dollars, whether we just hate our coworker or actually put a bullet into him, it all shows that in our hearts, in our very nature, we are sinful…and we all deserve of the penalty of death.

Some may ask, “But isn’t God love?  Won’t He overlook my sin?”  Well, God is love, but He is also Just and, in the same way as an earthly judge cannot leave a murderer unpunished, neither can this Holy God leave unpunished those who have committed treason.  Though He loves you…He must judge sin!  And so, that is our condition.  We are sinners.  You can never do enough “good deeds” to erase what you’ve done or who you are at heart.  You deserve to die and spend eternity in torment.  You are without hope…except for one thing.  Because of God’s great love for you…Because He wants desperately to fellowship with you…He made a way of escape, and that way is through His Son, Jesus.  You see, the penalty had to be paid.  The death sentence had to be carried out.  But, since all on earth are guilty, only the sinless, perfect, Son of God could be our substitute.   Do you understand what God has done for us?  What He’s done for you!?  Instead of you having to die for your sin, Jesus did!  It’s like a total stranger paying your fine, only infinitely more serious and costly.  Imagine such love:  The perfect and holy Son of God took on human flesh, walked among us, showing us what God is really like, and then, in the ultimate act of compassion, He had absolutely all the nasty, horrid, unspeakable sin of the world thrust upon Him as He, without complaint, willingly received the agony of the cross.  And then He died.  He died in our place.  He died for our sin.  He died for your sin.  And, after paying this awful price, three days later God raised His beloved Son physically from the dead.  So now, since the demands of justice have been fully met, since your terrible debt has been paid, there is now the possibility to having fellowship with God once more.  But there is something you need to do, and that thing is…believe.  Here’s what the scripture says, “if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.” 

Let’s talk a moment about “believing.”  This isn’t just a simple mental exercise like saying, “I believe the mountain is high” or “the ocean is deep.”  No, this is a life-changing belief.  Let me put it another way:  There are many who believe in the institution of marriage, but there are far less who, in the sight of God and man, actually commit themselves to another person…for life.  They choose to openly express their love and devotion to that one person…forsaking all others.  They are not afraid to tell of their marriage, or claim the other as their true love.  And, importantly, they mold their lives to reflect this commitment. Are you ready to make a commitment like this?  Are you ready to put your trust in Jesus alone?  Are you ready to acknowledge that without Him you are a sinner deserving of death? Are you ready to not only say the words, but to actually follow Him, forsaking all others?  Then pray, from your heart, something like this:

God, I know I am a sinner, deserving death.  I know, that in myself I can do nothing to make my heart clean or wash away the sin that keeps us apart.  But I’ve been told, and I believe, that you sent your Son, Jesus, to die in my place, to pay for my sins.  I’ve been told and I believe that after He died for me, that three days later you raised Him physically from the grave.  And God, knowing and believing all this I now freely put my trust in what Jesus has done and I give myself to you.  I claim Jesus as my Savior and Lord, and God, since I have done this, according to what you’ve said, my sins are washed away and I am saved! Thank you, Lord, for saving me.

Now, if you have done this, let me share a few scriptures that will help you understand your new reality.
Revelation 3:20 “Behold I (Jesus) stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.” 
Imagine, the very Son of God now lives and fellowships with you by faith!

2 Corinthians 5:17 “if any man (or woman) is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.”
Think about that!  No matter what you’ve done…it is washed away.  Your past…is your past.  You now stand clean before your heavenly Father.  And, He not only forgives…He forgets! 

The last part of John 3:16 mentions everlasting  life.  In John 14:2,3 Jesus said, “In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”  In John 11:25 Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if He dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die.”
You see, to the Christian, the fear of death is removed.  No fear of judgment.  No dread concerning the unknown.  Death is merely a door into the arms of Jesus.

Friend, if you’ve made the decision to believe in and follow Jesus…an exciting life awaits you.  It is vitally important that you get a Bible you can understand and begin reading the New Testament.  Be sure to spend time every day talking to your heavenly Father in the name of Jesus and, it is also very important that you begin attending a Church that teaches the whole truth of the Bible, where Jesus is lifted up, and love is the standard for behavior.

One final thought:  In Hebrews 13:5 God is quoted as saying, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.”  You see, if you’ve given your life to Jesus, your days of being alone are over.  You need never fear the future, or be chained to the past.  And, although you are not promised a trouble free life (in fact, there are certain trials and difficulties that come with the commitment), you are promised an ever present Savior, a Companion, a God who loves and cares for you more than we can understand.  We’ll be praying for you.

No comments: